Porteenie Supper

Quick Supper For One

Packaged porteenie mushrooms

Sauteed garlic, chopped peppers and stems with chopped spinach

Crumbled feta cheese, declumped

Stuffed and ready to bake

My husband, Beaver, who has worked for his current company for 18 years, is "retiring" Friday and on  Monday will start a new career.  Last night after he got home from work, we went to the Verizon store to get him a cell phone.  Afterwards it was rather past our normal supper time but we each decided to do something creative in the kitchen anyway.  Beaver was in a leftover lamb mood, planning a curry stew as he plugged his new phone into the charger and fiddled with the apps, and I went to the freezer to grab some frozen chopped spinach for the stuffed mushrooms I had been drooling for all day.

Beave's stew was delicious:  leftover tandoori lamb, chicken broth, diced potatoes and carrots, a bit of diced celery and onion, and my own curry powder.  The smell of that stuff cooking was heaven.

My stuffed shrooms were awesome.  I was so glad I didn't have to share (Beaver hates cooked spinach).  I was so hungry I ate all four but I think three would have been enough for a light meal.

Stuffed Porteenie Mushrooms

preheat oven to 350

4 Porteenie (small portabella) mushrooms, about 6 oz., stems removed and chopped fine
1/4 t. olive oil (optional)
1 T. red, orange and/or yellow bell peppers chopped fine
2 large cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 T. chopped frozen spinach, thawed and liquid pressed out before chopping
2 T. feta cheese crumbles, chopped up
1/4 c. Panko
Sprinkling of grated swiss cheese 

Spray a small non-stick saute pan with cooking spray.  Add 1/4 tsp. olive oil for flavor.  Heat pan on medium; add the peppers and garlic.  Saute until soft.  Add the chopped stems and cook slightly.  Remove from heat.  In a small bowl lightly stir together the pepper mix, spinach, feta cheese and Panko.  

Place mushrooms stem side up in a small baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Using your hands, gather a walnut sized clump of stuffing and press into each mushroom cap.  Compress and add more until it is used up.  Sprinkle some grated swiss cheese on each mound of stuffing and bake the mushrooms for 20 minutes.

Notes:

1. Please see Why We Sometimes Cook Separately for an explanation of why Beaver and I sometimes make two different meals
2. It might interest you to see My Diet Guidelines, which outline my goals for eating healthy

Comments