Village Life 1 - Garbage Day Crisis

The other day I plugged in my earbuds (to my iPhone) and started a playlist and bounced merrily down the road, heading south, not really knowing where I would go or what I would do but I just wanted to walk.  It was one of those very windy days, overcast and cool.  About six blocks down I saw an old woman standing at the foot of her driveway, next to her two dumpsters.  I glanced away but when I looked back she was looking directly at me and seemed to be calling to me.  With my earbuds in I couldn’t hear the words, but “Help me!” is what I could tell she was saying.

I jogged over, pulling out my earbuds.  One of her dumpsters had blown over on its side.  She was frantic about wanting it to be upright before the garbage truck came, and she couldn’t possibly lift it by herself.  I lifted it up and as I did so she cried, “Oh, bless you, bless you, I’ve been out here for over an hour!” and she started to cry.  I felt so bad for her because she had felt so alone and helpless for an hour.  So I gave her a big hug and let her cry into my shoulder.  After making sure she was okay I smiled and said, “Goodbye neighbor,” and went on with my walk.


Comments