Recipe - Chicken and Cabbage Stir-Fry

While Beaver was having his travel year I was alone most of the time, so I was always on the lookout for yummy, healthy meals-for-one to break the Lean Cuisine monotony.  People dislike cooking for themselves because it's easier to grab something convenient or familiar.  I enjoyed cooking though.  In the past it was always a struggle for me to limit myself to tiny portions of the large meals I used to prepare for my thin husband and growing sons.  With the boys long gone and Beaver traveling I could make meals that were designed just for my needs.  It was cool.  I discovered some new tastes and products that I probably wouldn't have, I lost weight, and I felt happy about myself.

Beaver's travel year is over and I'm back to cooking for the both of us, but rather than go back to the old favorites I'm making meals my way.  He's enjoying the new recipes.  I keep stuff like almonds and his favorite horseradish cheese on hand so he can add in the calories he needs.

This recipe is based on one I got off the Weight Watchers website.  The original recipe calls for pork tenderloin but I make mine with chicken and don't add as much shredded cabbage.  Also WW says that this stuff can be served wrapped in lettuce leaves or served over rice.  I eat mine plain.  It's very filling!  And so easy, you have no excuse not to make it!


Chicken and Cabbage Stir-Fry

Ingredients

2 chicken tenderloins, cooked and cut-up
1 cup packaged coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
8 ounces button or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
6 medium scallions, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced

FOR THE SAUCE:

1/3 cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sambal oelek (chili paste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Procedure

In a small bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, oil, garlic, ginger, venegar and sambal oelek; set aside.  (I like to heat the sauce on the stove.)

Spray a non-stick skillet with Pam.  Set over high heat.  When hot, add the peppers and celery.  Cook, stirring, until they aren't crunchy any more.  Add the slaw mix and mushrooms and cook until the cabbage is wilted.  Stir in the cut-up chicken and add the sauce.  Cook, stirring, to heat the mixture through.  Remove from heat and stir in the scallions and cilantro.

Makes one small dinner (if served with brown rice) with some left over for lunch the next day.  The entire recipe is only 10 points.



Comments