Huntsville: Stage One of the Apartment Project

Pretty upholstery updates a traditional chair.

Beaver and I recently signed the lease on an apartment in Huntsville, Alabama, and for the first time in our married lives had to set up residence from scratch. We started with nothing but the clothes in our suitcases. After we took possession of our new place, Beaver bought a mattress and box springs, two folding yard chairs, and a broom, and I bought a painted end table, a lamp, and a plant. Amazon delivered the necessities (bed linens, towels, pots and pans, etc.)

BEFORE: Chairs destined for the balcony.
DURING: Things look softer now.

I like to accumulate furniture over time from many sources, preferring an eclectic style to "matchy matchy" furniture sets, but our needs this time took precedence and we agreed to spend a lot of money at  the local Haverty's (who delivered the stuff in three days)!. We picked out the bare minimum so that we had enough to be comfortable but still leave room for special finds and decorative items.

BEFORE: Beaver's favorite corner.
DURING: Things are somewhat improved.

BEFORE: Ugly but comfortable.
DURING: I always wanted a sleigh bed!

The eat-in kitchen has room for a real dining room table and chairs.
A peek into the second bedroom which will serve as our office.
As I work on the apartment this summer I'll be sure to post pictures of my progress.  I say "work" but it really is fun for me, and I'm looking forward to discovering interesting second-hand stores and antiques dealers in Huntsville.  If you have any suggestions for resources please let me know!


Comments