Chapter Two: Friday Update 4.20.18

FINISHED OBJECTS

Perfect Leaves Hat by Penelope & Natalia


This hat was so much fun and super fast. Look how pretty it is! 

Perfect Leaves hat
I came across this pattern through one of my [DELETED] groups and loved it so much I stopped what I was working on and knitted it up right away.




I used yarn that was sitting on my stash shelf, Patons Classic Wool DK Superwash, which I bought at Tuesday Morning several months ago. The pattern called for 1 skein but I ended up needing to use a little bit from a second skein.



Trylle by Luise Bjerre


I recently bought three beautiful yarns for a Mystery Knit Along (MKAL), but when the first clue was released I realized after knitting a few rounds that I really didn't like the way it was going, so I unraveled it.

Dream In Color Jilly yarn
The yarn is by Dream in Color, called "Jilly," in (clockwise from top) Prickly Pear, Jessamyn and Blue Fish.

It was begging me to be worked up in the form of a cowl though, so after searching online for a while I found a pattern that made me happy (simple but just a little different).

Finished!
The pattern, Trylle, is knit flat in garter stitch on the bias so the stripes run diagonal. It has such a nice drape. I used two strands at a time to achieve the tweedy look. It's rather small compared to what the pattern calls for, but I have a short neck, and this is Florida, so I made it into more of a necklace garment rather than a double-wrapped scarf. 

I really recommend this quick knit. And guess what? It's free!




WORKS IN PROGRESS


WALK IN THE PARK CARDI BY CARON DESIGN TEAM


I go back and forth on this one. I started it last year and picked the pattern simply because I didn't have many skeins and this little cardigan uses less than most sweaters.

I don't actually like the two colors in the cardigan, but as a new knitter (even newer back then!) I needed a pattern to follow, so I ignored the first color and started the project with just the one.

Started last year...
This yarn came from Hobby Lobby. It was in the sale bin and I liked the colors well enough so I snapped it up. This was back in the days when I didn't have a stash, had just learned to knit really, and reading the label was alien to me.

The yarn is Yarn Bee Ashley, an aran weight 56% wool/44% polyester blend. It has cool little flecks of totally unrelated color in it (orange and black) but somehow it works.

My first mistake was not knowing enough about yarn weight to make the right choice. The pattern calls for DK. I'm knitting aran with size US size 5 needles. It's a tad dense, and quite heavy in my lap. Miles and miles of stockinette got me discouraged and I put the project in hibernation.

Working the front right now.

But now it's back! I hit the milestone of the right front shaping. It's weird to be knitting on my straight wooden needles, which are more like sticks really, but the rest of the sweater's on hold on the circulars.

If you're interested in seeing this free pattern it's available both on and off of Ravelry.

GO TO WALK IN THE PARK CARDI ON ALLFREEKNITTING




SELF IMPORTANT SOCKS BY DEBORAH KEMBALL


My friend challenged me to do a colorwork sock with her. She cheated by picking a shortie style sock, what we used to call Tennis Socks in the olden days. I however played by the rules and picked this pattern, mainly because it was already in my file drawer.

I think I'm failing though. In order to keep the strands loose as I switched from one color to the next and back, the stitches look huge. Everyone says blocking will correct all that but I'm dubious. In the solid color stockinette part where I am now it's perfectly lovely.

Stitches seem elongated in the section below the ribbing


Also, the sock seems so big! I don't know. We'll just have to see.

Just started the heel flap

I'm using some of the blue Jilly yarn from the Trylle cowl along with Premier Yarns Serenity Sock yarn in soft white. Needle size US 1. This cuff-down pattern is a freebie.

GO TO SELF IMPORTANT SOCKS ON DEBORAH KEMBALL'S WEBSITE




SWEET BUNTING BY LAURA CHAU


My nephew and his wife are expecting their first child, a daughter, in August. I'm so excited to have a baby girl for whom I can shower with pink, pink, and more pink.

So that's a lie. No one wants pink any more. In my sleuthing I have found that gray is a common choice for baby neutrals, and when I found this free cardigan pattern it seemed very fresh and modern, something a young mom would love to put on her child.

It's not as blue as it seems, it's really a pretty soft gray

As you can see, I've knitted the 6.5" from the bottom up as required for the size 1 pattern, and have now started the tiny little sleeve. In case you're wondering what that tube thing is, it's a cardboard case that holds the circular needles and has a slot to let the work hang out. I think it's meant for sock projects. A friend gave it to me.

The yoke of the cardigan has a garland (or pennant or bunting) motif. I'm knitting the body in Bernat Softee Baby in Flannel and the garland in Softee Baby in a multi called Pink Rainbow.

GO TO SWEET BUNTING ON LOVEKNITTING



Comments