Chapter 11: Friday Update 6.29.18

Meerschaum Socks by Sachiko Burgin (for Laine Issue 5).

Hello Friends! I'm being organized and posting my Friday update on a Friday, two times in a row, yay!

I did a lot of knitting this week without any finished objects to show for it. Some projects just fly by, yet others drag on and on. When you spend hours knitting on something you'd think it would just be done! But no...




One Meerschaum sock finished.

WORKS IN PROGRESS

MEERSCHAUM SOCKS BY SACHIKO BURGIN


These are so fun to knit! I don't block my socks until they're both done, so you're seeing (above) an unblocked first sock, but it looks so lovely that it may not need it. I took my little projects to the beach this morning. My 8 a.m. photo-shoot took place on the dunes while my husband fished.

(Fishing report: There were whiting out there, and he caught a few, but the big guys weren't biting, and the little guys got thrown back, so no Fresh Catch of the Day for our supper tonight.)

It was really hot and humid. The Atlantic Ocean looked like the Gulf of Mexico, i.e., glassy calm, little itty bitty waves, and there was no breeze to help with the heat. I tried knitting two projects and just had to stop because the yarn was so damp from the humidity that it had a hard time sliding across my needles. Thank you Florida.

Meerschaum sock #2. Got the heel turned and starting on the foot now.

I'm eager to finish the second sock and be done, so I can post my FO in the Laine group's KAL thread. It'll be my first FO in my first KAL. Woo hoo!

This issue of Laine magazine is gorgeous. I love all the knitting patterns, and I also love the pants that the model is wearing in this picture:

© Laine Magazine

I'm obsessed with finding fabric like this so I can sew a similar pair of pants. Better yet, wouldn't it be awesome if I could find these online and just buy them?

Sorry, that was a "sidebar," as the girls from Cozy Up Knits (new brand name for Cozy Up With The Stitching Sisters podcast) would say.

BACK TO KNITTING!

I love the Peerie yarn so much! I can't wait to order more and find a new project for it.


YARN: Brooklyn Tweed Peerie in Morel


YARN: Cascade Heritage Solids in Avocado

GO TO LAINE

GO TO THE  LAINE GROUP ON RAVELRY



RIBBON YARN DROP STITCH SCARF BY DIANE L. AUGUSTIN


Ribbon Yarn Scarf - Silk on the sand.
My friend Bunny invited me over the other day for a quick show-and-tell and knitting session. She had some stash to offload and I can't say no, so...I ended up with some yarn that I may never have bought on my own, but now it's on my shelf and I'm compelled (because I'm weird that way) to find projects for everything. More about all that later. 

I was intrigued with the Trendsetter Yarns Segue (in colorway Mossy Oak) that she gave me: three whole balls of lovely silk-look ribbon. I've never seen, in person, a project knitted up in this kind of thing. However, if you look on Ravelry, there are quite a few projects that call for this type of "yarn."

Close up of the scarf.

I picked this little scarf project because it looked fast and easy and like something I could see myself wearing for evenings out.

FREE PATTERN ON RAVELRY

SIMILAR PATTERN ON THE LANCASTER YARN SHOP BLOG

Yarn: Trendsetter Yarns Segue in Mossy Oak



EMBRACE OF THE SUN BY DROPS DESIGN


Yes, I'm still trying to finish it! It was a FO last week but I decided to frog it back and re-finish it. I'm almost done though - maybe two or three more inches. Right now I'm on the ribbing, which is my hack since the pattern is really for a dress. I'm doing twisted knit 1 purl 1 ribbing and so far it looks nice.

Beach knit.

I tried to knit on this at the beach but it was too hot and humid. The bamboo needles felt sticky and the yarn wouldn't slide, so I gave up. Once I got home I put the project on my steel ChiaoGoo interchangeables, and with the magic of air conditioning, it's going really fast again.



ACQUISITIONS

SHIBUI REED



Shibui Reed for a Ravelry Knit-Along.

Another one of my favorite podcasters, Caz at Wee Sew and Sew, started a group and a summer knit-along. I'm participating in it with this tank top pattern and a lovely 100% linen yarn, Reed by Shibui. I had to order it online, so I ended up with five hanks to deal with. Guess what I did about that?

My new toys.

Yep, that's right! I bought my very own swift and a very blurry ball winder to go with it! Here's a better picture of my setup:

Swift and ball-winder.

After a lot of research I ended up ordering the large size swift from Stanwood and the largest size winder (also by Stanwood). It worked like a charm the very first time I used both pieces. Links are below this post.


MANOS DEL URUGUAY FINO


Fino in Inkwell.

I have big plans for this yarn that I bought in Savannah (at The Frayed Knot). It's for a Christmas shawl for my one of my daughters-in-law, and the pattern I'm using is Joji Locatelli's Bark Lines. I will probably try and pick up another couple of skeins in similar shades and do a gradient style fade, if I can. We're going to Sarasota in a couple of weeks and there's a fantastic yarn store there, so I'm hopeful.


THE COPPER CORGI FIBER STUDIO


Copper Corgi Sock.


Copper Corgi Sport.


Got these at The Frayed Knot in Savannah. They're hand-dyed by a local (to Savannah) dyer. I like to do my part in supporting indie crafters. Not sure what project they'll become, but I'll find something!

♕♕♕

Thanks for tuning in. See you next week!



Comments