Chapter 14: Weekend Update 7.29.18

SARASOTA YARN HAUL

Miss Babs Yummy 2-Ply in Frozen (top)
My husband and I took a trip to Sarasota recently. The big attraction for me was the store A Good Yarn, one that consistently comes up in searches for local stockists. 

I had two skeins and some beads from previous purchases, but needed that missing link, which I didn't really know what it was, but I knew I needed it. Found it!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I haven't told you about the second skein. I ordered it from The Alpaca Yarn Company. It's Mariquita Hand-Dyed in Carnival.

(The bottom is Manos del Uruguay Fino in Inkwell.)

And guess what? I started the shawl that these were intended for! 


BARK LINES


Garter tab and band completed.

Bark Lines is a gorgeous shawl pattern that I found.

I decided to start with the Fino yarn. This is the deep blue tonal that I thought would be lovely near the face and hair of the person for whom I'm making this.


MORE YARN HAUL


Fall colors for Katie's Shawl.

First I picked up Urth Yarns, Harvest in Twig (center), because I just love that shade of green. With the pattern Katie's Shawl in mind (I just love the Stitchin' Sisters podcasts and patterns) I found two speckled skeins, a style which I have trouble finding locally. They're both Spun Right Round Sock Classic. On the left is Exploder, and on the right is Tomato Soup.

Can't wait to start this project! I plan to give it to someone for Christmas. (But I might keep it.)


LOCAL (FLORIDA) YARN


There's no question of why I picked up this yarn!

The Fiber Seed is a local small-batch, hand-dyed yarn maker. I haven't been able to find their stuff near home, so I was hoping the alert and trendy owner of A Good Yarn, Susan, would be on top of things. 

Get this! Not only did I find A Fiber Seed's yarn, I found this exclusive colorway, dyed specifically for A Good Yarn, with colors taken from a photo of this fish:

I'm pretty sure it's called an Angelfish.

What a great find! This colorway (in the Sprout merino) is called Honeycomb and it screams "Stephen West" and I can't wait to find one of his patterns and pick out more yarn to compliment this skein.



IN THE PINK


I had three skeins of Rowan Super-wash Worsted in a pretty sherbet pink. It was a freebie that I got for signing up for a Rowan subscription. Although pink is my color, I didn't really know what to do with them.


They're smooshed and damp because Rowan didn't ship them in a waterproof bag.


I had these skeins in mind when I searched the worsted section at AGY and found this perfect hand-dyed superwash merino, Dutchess, from Primrose Yarn Company. The colorway is Sonic Youth.


Sonic Youth by Primrose Yarn Co,

I'm thinking now that I need a third (and maybe fourth) skein in a periwinkle color. Though these are worsted, if I knit a shawlette pattern it might turn out the perfect size.


FINALLY, THE END OF THE YARN


More Spun Right Round!

I bought more Spun Right Round Classic Sock in Cool as a Cucumber for no reason other than I loved it. It reminds me of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I'd like to get a slightly deeper tonal in the same shade of green, and do a pretty striped sock. I got the idea for this from a Finnish podcast I love (even though I don't speak a word of Finnish) called Villapesuohjelma. I believe the grandmother knit these socks for the granddaughter. The yarn might be self-striping but I think I can do the same look with colorwork.



AND NOW A FINISHED OBJECT


How cute is this?

This soft little cashmere pouch is a pattern called Sock Baggie by Rebecca Enoch. I made this so I could practice beadwork using the dental floss method. I totally loved working with this yarn (Schoppel-Wolle Cashmere Queen in Helio).


Beads down the four corners.

I had some similar yarn scraps left over from my first knitting project, so I made the braided cord and pom poms from that.


So fluffy and soft.

The top is a sweet picot edge that's actually knit and then folded over at the picot. When I first started making it I thought it looked like a crown.


Crown-like top.


WORKS IN PROGRESS



Self-striping mystery yarn.

I decided to pick up this project again. I'm using a spiral lace pattern from a book, applied to my favorite sock recipe, How I Make My Socks by Susan B. Anderson. I call it HIMMS usually.


Detail.

The yarn came from my local yarn store in Cocoa Village, FL. It was in the sale bin. I didn't manage to save the ball band. It's very sweet though. I like how the stripes show the pattern quite well.


OTHER WIPS:

1. Emporeio got frogged, which was discouraging because I was about 90% finished. I frogged the entire back panel back to before the lace. There were just too many learning curve errors and I can do better.

2. Embrace of the Sun was a FO but it was too big on me so I frogged it back to before the increases and am currently knitting the body down to where I want it. The yoke is so pretty. I fixed it by single crocheting a border into every other stitch. That tightened it up to a more flattering fit.


♕♕♕

And there you have it! Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to keep up with all the details about my projects and stash, please check out my Ravelry page:


TTFN!


Comments