Chapter 20 - Alexandria Yarn Haul

Miss Babs Yummy 2-ply

Yarn Store Visit: Fibre Space in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia

Apparently I missed meeting Stephen West by one day. He had visited the store for a Meet And Greet on Sunday, to promote his new book, Hiberknitting. 


There were some signed books left

As I was checking out with armload of yarn, I noticed several of West's book stacked up on the counter. Naturally I flipped one open to see if it was signed, and it was! 

At $25 each, I could only justify buying one book. If they had been $10 or $12 I would have bought another copy to give to a friend.


Fibre Space purchase.

But what about the yarn?

I really tried to buy locally dyed yarn, but the brand featured (from Baltimore), although absolutely lovely, didn't have any colorways that were unique to me. Without a project in mind I was pretty much just wandering the store, trying to find inspiration.

Finally I settled on this Miss Babs Yummy 2-ply yarn. I can't get Miss Babs at my store in Cocoa Village, FL, and there were so many awesome colors to choose from. I decided to pretend that I was going to knit a colorwork sweater. These four colors looked so nice together.

Dark Pegasus, Oyster, Blue Slate, and Forever (l. to r.)

Miss Babs Colorways

Above, you can see what I mean. Don't these yarns play well together? I'm thinking that, if I do indeed knit a sweater, the body would be cream colored, but I would love some suggestions.

A better option for me might be another shawl. You can't have too many! Wouldn't these colors be beautiful in a shawl?

♕♕♕


As always, knitting projects come along


Christmas (2019) socks!

I brought pretty socks to knit, and some hand-dyed yarn to play with. I'm experimenting with a twisted rib/mesh pattern infinity scarf. It's really cool looking! If it blocks (and looks) well, I'm going to knit another one and create a free teaching pattern for Ravelry.


Copper Corgi Black Country yarn paired with Emma's Yarns in Cactus Flower

A visit with the kids

We got to see our son John for the first time in nearly a year. He's been in Korea all this time, and is finally home, stationed at Fort Belvoir in Northern Virginia. It was great to be with him and his wife, Ruth. (Ruth is totally knit worthy, and I was thrilled when she asked me to make her another hat!)

Our son Steve lives in Northern Virginia too, so we got to be with him as well. He was sporting a new haircut which I'll call the Buff Cut, because it's designed to fool mothers into thinking that their son has been working out. 

♕♕♕

Finished Object

Vanilla Latte socks

These socks, knitted from the Vanilla Latte Socks pattern by Virginia Rose-Jeanes, came out super nice. I say that because these are the first pair that really fit my feet well.  


Perfect fit

The yarn is Cascade Yarns Heritage Silk, in 5708 Sunflower. The green is leftover (from the Meerschaum socks) Cascade Yarns Heritage in Avocado. I can't say too much about the quality of Cascade yarns! Such a dream to knit with. If you run across Cascade in your store, check out the price. It's very affordable.


♕♕♕

And there you have it! Thanks for stopping by.

TTFN!






Comments