Chapter 29 - Springtime Knitting

Dwarf Bougainvillea

WE'VE HAD A LOVELY SPRING

Not Too Hot, Not Too Cold

As we sit out back every evening we always remark that the weather has been gorgeous. These past few months have provided us the kind of warm weather and low humidity that make you want to be outdoors. Our new bed full of dwarf bougainvillea, above, seems to enjoy basking in the May sunshine.

LOTS OF KNITTING GOING ON THOUGH

First, A Frogged Attempt at a Baby Garment

Lulu and Loui Romper by Pernille Larson.

You can read all about this project on my [DELETED] page, but basically I felt like the pattern was poorly translated because the directions weren't clear and the numbers didn't add up correctly in some cases.

I made so many mistakes because of misunderstanding the directions. At the point where it was time to divide for the armholes, I gave up and frogged it. 

Another Ruth Slouchy

This one's in gray.

My daughter-in-law, Ruth, asked for a replacement slouchy hat when she was here in April.  I was all out of the black yarn but had a skein this Heartland yarn in the colorway Great Smoky Mountains. She likes the colorwork, which resembles a flock of birds taking off.

ACTUALLY...

I think I'll call this colorwork pattern The Obliteration of the Dothraki.

Light As Air Stashburner Shawl

Lovely navy blue will get lots of use.

My Stashbuster Shawl by Heather Haynes is pure heaven to knit. The yarn's the reason. It's Plymouth Yarn's Incan Spice (merino, alpaca, silk and yak) and is it luxurious!

Soooo soft!

You can see the halo, above. The entire project is light as a feather. I'll have to knit miles of it before I'm sure it won't blow away in the wind.

I'm not complaining! It's an easy, comfort knit, for those times when you just want to feel something soft as a kitten in your hands. 

Work Socks

Just a peek!

I say "work socks" because it's work knitting! I'm designing a sock pattern and I'm just about done. Above, you can see the toe ends of the three samples I've knit so far (I'm hiding the cuffs for the big reveal). I'm working on a fourth right now, trying to get everything perfect. 

Rich Purple Summer Cardi

Sort of an eggplant color.

This cardigan's been a real fun project. I'm using the Really Ridgy pattern by Andrea Yetman and the yarn is Cascade's Ultra Pima. This picture can't convey the lush and deep Syrah colorway properly, but it's a feast to look at and work with.

Open and airy stitches.

The pattern calls for heavier yarn, but I substituted DK and kept the specified needle size in order to ensure that this cotton garment would look and feel lightweight and airy over sleeveless dresses or tops.

A COUPLE MORE GARDEN PICS

Our Plants Look So Healthy This Spring!

Crinum augustrum

Above, Queen Emma, who lives underneath the areca palms. Bathed in dappled sunshine, she burst into bloom in time for May Day.

Jatropha tree.

The dainty little Jatropha tree has red blooms that the swallowtail butterflies adore. We had it cut way back last fall -- it tends to fall victim to scale -- and it has come back this spring thicker and more shapely than before.

♕♕♕

And there you have it! Thanks for stopping by. 

TTFN!

Comments