It Always Happens When You Have Company

Of Course: The Refrigerator Dies

Last Saturday I discovered that the contents of my refrigerator were at room temperature, and the contents of the freezer were fully thawed and only slightly cool. I've never had this happen before, except in a power outage, so I was confused for a time about the fact that I could use my stove to quickly cook the meat. Once I understood the concept of having full use of other appliances, I set to work.

How Did This Happen?

We've all experienced power outages. When the electricity goes out for an extended period (such as during and after a hurricane), I'm prepared to use coolers and ice to help with the contents of the refrigerator. However, in my experience, you really can go a couple of days before things inside it start to need help. So it was hard to fathom why a fully functioning refrigerator could not only stop cooling, but apparently bring in heat, overnight. I mean, the stuff in the freezer was thawed as much, if not more, than if I had laid everything on the counter overnight. I didn't find anything online describing a similar situation.

Moving On

I do have a second refrigerator out in the garage, so I salvaged what we'd eat right away out of the broken one. We quickly stuck the mayo, ketchup, mustard, lunch meat, sliced cheese, and produce out there. I made burger patties out of 1 lb. of the ground beef (which we grilled that day) and browned the other 1 lb. I had a big bag of frozen chicken tenders which I poached, so they're all cooked and ready for chicken enchiladas, soup, and a casserole or something. I threw away the soggy, leaking, room temperature frozen vegetables and fruits, and due to lack of space, left the other things sitting in the dead fridge.

What I Threw Away

For all you nosy people out there (I'm one of you), today I was finally able to address the contents of the dead refrigerator, and I made a list of what I had to toss, partly so I could shop for replacements right away, if necessary. So, here's what I got rid of.

  1. Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce
  2. Stubb's Spicy barbeque sauce
  3. Tartar sauce
  4. Cocktail sauce
  5. A-1 sauce
  6. Worcestershire sauce
  7. Anchovy paste
  8. French, Russian, and Ranch dressings
  9. Grey Poupon mustard
  10. Pace picante sauce
  11. Pace salsa verde
  12. Pack of Pillsbury pie crusts (I was going to make apple pie)
  13. Manzanilla olives
  14. Stuffed Queen olives
  15. Prepared horseradish
  16. Lemon juice
  17. Lime juice
  18. Frank's Stingin' honey garlic sauce
  19. Pickapeppa sauce
  20. Tapatio sauce
  21. Ortega Street Taco "Asada" sauce
  22. Chouloula sauce
  23. Tabasco sauce
  24. Sambal oelek
  25. Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce
  26. Hoisin sauce
  27. Soy sauce
  28. Duck sauce
  29. Black bean sauce
  30. Gojoujang
  31. Chinese hot mustard
  32. Chili garlic sauce
  33. Fish sauce
  34. Maraschino cherries
  35. Grenadine syrup
  36. Jalapeno slices
  37. Roasted red peppers
  38. Pizza sauce
  39. Homemade chipotle salsa
  40. Homemade chipotle mayo
  41. Dulce de Leche syrup
  42. Spray butter
  43. Ghee
  44. Relish
  45. No-sugar ketchup
  46. Strawberry and chocolate syrups
  47. Squeeze stuff: Cilantro, Garlic, and Ginger
  48. No-sugar blackberry jam
  49. Polaner All-Fruit strawberry spread

What's Next

I had put in a service call to our appliance repair place on Saturday and they said they'd call me this morning. They never called, and when I phoned again to remind them, the girl who answered said, "Oh, sorry, we don't service LG appliances." On top of that, my husband researched LG refrigerators and saw negative reviews regarding their reliability, including one model (ours) which was involved in a class action suit that's now over with. So he's pushing for us to just buy a new refrigerator. I'm going to research them online now and see what I can find. Meanwhile, we're so glad to have that backup in the garage.

This is the LG model I have. I've never been happy with it. It's really small inside. Not a lot of room for produce and leftovers, and nothing very tall. It's supposed to be counter-depth, but it sticks out several inches. LMXC23796D/00, manufactured 8/2018.

You can knock on the door and the light comes on,
but we never need to do that


This Consumer Reports article sums up LG refrigerators (it's a straight link, there are no kickbacks or commissions for me): https://www.consumerreports.org/appliances/refrigerators/most-and-least-reliable-refrigerator-brands-a8271265835/

♕♕♕

Thanks for stopping by.

TTFN!

Comments